Close

How to check for Exhaust Leaks

Exhausts are easy to put on and take off.

Its about an hour job, and bring your WD-40 but overall its all pretty straight forward. What people don't do is tighten after heating it up. Im one of those people.

When you install the exhaust and tighten the clamps you need to make sure they are REALLY TIGHT.

Then, you need to drive the truck around for a while. Maybe a week later, get under it again, and tighten everything again.

The heat and cool, makes the exhaust expand and contract. So it will feel tight the day you install, but will loosen shortly after and will need to be tightened again.

Here's what your pipes will look like if you don't follow up and re tighten the system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXHAUST LEAK.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	411

You can see where the clamp is, and the black marks are carbon. They are there because the exhaust is coming out. Thats the signal that your leaking exhaust.

This can also lead to error codes from your truck.

Simple answer? Get under there with a ratchet and tighten them as much as you can.

UGH. My underside is caked in soot. Should I scrub it off to tell if it happens again? Or just tighten and forget it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    UGH. My underside is caked in soot. Should I scrub it off to tell if it happens again? Or just tighten and forget it?
    If you have a brush around, I'd hit it while I tighten them down. But the tightening. Thats where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    If you have a brush around, I'd hit it while I tighten them down. But the tightening. Thats where its at.
    Do those thing come with recommended torque specs or do you just tighten the hell out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Do those thing come with recommended torque specs or do you just tighten the hell out of them?
    I think the point is that whatever you torque them to when they are cold will loosen when you drive the first few times. So you just need to go back after the heat and tighten them up.

Mine was black underneath also. Im sure the vibration docent help. I got under there and torqued the hell out of those bolts. Gonna check back when I do the next oil change and see if it stays torqued.