Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeep Paint Protection using Xpel Ultimate Self Healing Film

I've been driving jeeps since I was 14 and I'm more than familiar with following off road trails that get more and more narrow as you go along. Overgrowth sends tree branches and thorn bushes out into the trail and we're all too lazy to get out and move them and just plow right through. I've actually never owned a jeep that didn't end up whiskered with scratches.

This JK, "Jesse's Girl" is the most expensive jeep I've ever owned, most of my old rides being CJs with rust and or 2-3 paintjobs over the last 30 years with rust coming out with every pothole. This is my first Jeep that looks as good as it performs, and I decided I wanted to keep it that way. Also, I'm fairly lazy anymore and don't have the time to constantly buff and wax my jeep as I'd rather be wheeling or wrenching.

So this company, Xpel offers clear vinyl wrap in a bunch of different levels of protection from standard clear car-bra to self-healing badass bras that can take rocks hits, scratches and chemicals and not even blink. So you get to reading on their website about what each one does, and the warranties that come along and its pretty cool. Also, my jeep doesn't have a huge amount of painted surface considering the top is not painted so why not do the whole thing!

Well that's just what I'm doing. I'm wrapping the painted surfaces of my jeep in Xpel Ultimate Self Healing film. There are some wicked youtube videos showing the film getting scratched up with metal brushes and healing the scratches over time...and not much time at that. I figured it would make the jeep look good for years to come and prevent me from having to do as much work (see laziness above).

So I'm not that technical with chemistry but the ultimate film is basically 4 layers of film bonded together. The layer closest to the jeep is a flexible adhesive "release liner". The second layer is "1.6 mil ultra clear acrylic copolymer", whatever that is, followed by a 6 mil polyurethane flexible layer with memory, and topped with a .5 mil "low surface energy" clear coat with "elastomeric polymers". I'm guessing that is what "heals" the scratches when they happen.

I watched every video on youtube and was sold on the stuff, so went on the xpel site to find a well rated installed. There were some local folks, but I'm betting the 7 year warranty hinges on proper installation. Plus, I spoke to the installer and he does it right by removing all trim, door handles, locks, etc, vice cutting around them with a scalpel.

So here is my Jesse's Girl halfway through install. Before the wrap could go on, the jeep is detailed, clay barred, buffed and paint chips were repaired, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrap1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	434

Name:	wrap2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	435

Its only halfway done, but I'll definitely post some more pictures as it progresses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XpelUltimate_07.jpg  

Black Betty is wrapped in this stuff. 2 years later she is blacker than any truck I park next. No swirl marks.

Black paint above all others really needs this stuff.

I'm even having my tube fenders wrapped. That's completely custom work whereas most of it is printed out using CAD templates. Here they are now, hope to get them all installed in the next week.

Name:	2014-03-08 09.16.23.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	438

Name:	2014-03-08 09.16.12.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	439

Black Betty's Carbon Fiber RK sport hood and flares are about to get wrapped.

The rest of the truck is wrapped. The flares were terribly done and were not a clean enough job to wrap. Ive found a powdercoater worth taking a chance on, so Im going to strip the nemesis flares and have them done. Then wrapped. I tried to wrap the RK sport hood myself, and it didnt come out quite perfect... so its going to get re-done.

Here are some shots of her getting wrapped when she was born. This was the first thing I did to her. Took her from the dealership to the wrapper. That black paint is PERFECT under her wrap.

Name:	Jeep-Rubicon-Complete-Xpel-Ultimate-Clear-Bra-Paint-Protection-Wrap-Executive-Paint-Protection-N.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	446

Name:	Jeep-Rubicon-Complete-Xpel-Ultimate-Clear-Bra-Paint-Protection-Wrap-Executive-Paint-Protection-N.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	447

If anyone out there wants to tackle this mod. Find a GOOD shop. AND you want to see the truck, AFTER prep, and BEFORE wrap. They have to clay bar and polish the entire truck before the wrap goes on. You want to see your truck perfect? You have to see it before the wrap goes on.

Even if you cannot go back to see it before the wrap. Tell the shop that you do want to see it after prep and before wrap. That way they will make sure its perfect. Then you can let them wrap it. Check xpel.com for one of their installers. Thats best for the 10 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post

If anyone out there wants to tackle this mod. Find a GOOD shop. AND you want to see the truck, AFTER prep, and BEFORE wrap. They have to clay bar and polish the entire truck before the wrap goes on. You want to see your truck perfect? You have to see it before the wrap goes on.

Even if you cannot go back to see it before the wrap. Tell the shop that you do want to see it after prep and before wrap. That way they will make sure its perfect. Then you can let them wrap it. Check xpel.com for one of their installers. Thats best for the 10 year warranty.
    I went on xpel.com and found a very high rated dealer. This guy spent forever prepping the paint. He clay barred the paint several times, then even repaired a few scratches. Then the vehicle gets washed several times and the application area stays damp to prevent dust. In between body panels, they actually wash the jeep again! He was telling me how static and air movement will let dust find its way to the paint no matter how hard you try to keep it clean between panels.

What I thought was cool is that my installer actually took the CAD designs and modified them to allow himself more material to tuck under the edges and around corners of panels. A good installer probably means the difference between excellent and average results.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I went on xpel.com and found a very high rated dealer. This guy spent forever prepping the paint. He clay barred the paint several times, then even repaired a few scratches. Then the vehicle gets washed several times and the application area stays damp to prevent dust. In between body panels, they actually wash the jeep again! He was telling me how static and air movement will let dust find its way to the paint no matter how hard you try to keep it clean between panels.

What I thought was cool is that my installer actually took the CAD designs and modified them to allow himself more material to tuck under the edges and around corners of panels. A good installer probably means the difference between excellent and average results.
    Thats a good installer. Also, some installers will tell you that only BLACK paint needs to be "clay-bar'd". Do not buy that. Its a guy taking a short cut. All colors should be clay-bar'd. Its a good way to tell if you have a good installer. Someone who will start by telling you what you "dont need" is the wrong installer.

Snarf, tell us what you paid for install?

Black Betty, full truck, all surfaces, painted flares, AND the painted top... cost $2200. I'm not sure I love the installation tho. Only I can see the issues but there were some corners cut....And i wont getting new wrap done where the old wrap was done. Also make sure they promise to remove your top. They cant get to the edges of the rear section if the top remains installed. If they say they are not going to take the top off, find another installer.

Good Info. Im thinking of doing my grill only. That thing gets beaten to death with rocks.

I might need to have it painted first tho.

How much does this run?

I paid 2200 to have my whole truck wrapped. Painted top included and flares. (thats install only, not wrap)

Your cost will depend on how much of your truck is getting wrapped.

Im not sure how much just the grill would be. But should be pretty cheap. They also make cut out shapes. One specific for the nose of the JK

Apparently there is some history between companies and templates for vehicles are available from multiple sources. I've been removing the Plasti-Dip from my grille and hope to get it wrapped. If I do I'll post the cost for just the grille. My guess is about $150 labor. There are some complex angles on the grille.