Close

AEV Springs Shocks with RockKrawler Lift?

Here was my first thread ever. I figureed I'd throw it into this new site for fun.

Hey everyone, My jeep is almost here. Ive been watching the forum for what seems like forever now, and Im about to make a final decision about my lift.

Im going to be on road mostly, but I want to have the capability to go offroad as Im in need of a new hobby and wheeling sounds like it will fit the bill. I do love to drive on roads tho and really want good handling. Ive driven the AEV 231 R package with 4.5 inch lift and 37s and a hemi and it drove great, but that was months ago now. I was sold on a AEV lift until someone on this forum tore it apart in comparison to another lift with lower control arms and other parts that are more robust.

The point was that AEV was for "expedition" not neccessarily rock crawling. Enter Rock Krawler. I love their solid steel parts, and their shop is close to me, so definatly going to make the few hour trip there to have it installed correctly from the source., In the NYC area (north jerz) I imagine that there are not many wheelers, so I dont really want to go to a shop thats learning how to install on my truck.

Here's the question, I like the AEV ride and the Rock Krawler durability. I was thinking that I might take the AEV springs and AEV tuned Bilstein shocks and pair them with a RockKrawler lift, of the same height.

AEV is coming out with a 2.5 inch coil lift right now, (should be out any day) and I was hoping to buy the springs and shocks and pair them with the Rock Krawler Max travel 2.5 inch lift. This would also work with AEV's 3.5 springs and shocks, with a Rock Krawler 3.5inch lift.

The goal is for flat racy handleing on road and capability off road. The AEV I drove was excellent, but now that someone here (ill find the thread) really explained that its mostly stock parts relocated and bracketed, and for the money I'm spending on a lift, I really want a LIFT.

I want to kill the wandery feeling in the fast lane and make it flat in the turns. And anyone who wants to tell me not to buy a jeep for wanting this hasnt driven an AEV. That thing handled like a sportscar. Is what made it do that the springs and shocks? can I cross that with a RK and build a winner?
    Last edited by JeepLab; 02-15-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: more info

Here is what changed my mind about the AEV lift

AEV 3.5" DualSport SC lift kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

The guys name was 2k2wranglerx and he made a very good argument. Here is is-

I've stated this opinion over and over in these threads so i'll try to be brief in this one. Every time someone brings up this kit and i mention the shortcomings of it, the response is "well that's not what that kit was designed for". The concensus is that it was really built for trail riding and road use mostly. That rock crawling or hard wheeling really wasn't in the scope of the kit.

My BIGGEST issue is the way the kit is designed. If that's as big as you'll ever want to go, and all you're ever going to do is mild trails and street (which is what most of the jeep owners do anyway) then it's 100% fine.

HOWEVER, if there's ANY possibility that you'll want to get more into the sport and keep upgrading... Then it's not a good kit. Basically, when you start getting into tougher wheeling, other than the springs and shocks, everything else in the kit eventually gets thrown away (not that it comes with that much stuff to begin with).

Also, the components that come in the kit really aren't very stout. The rear tracbar that comes with the kit is a stock trac bar that has had a bend added to it, the overpriced steering upgrade is just a RHD drag link that costs 45 bucks online (but they charge 300 for the kit), When we were building jeepnick's hydro mount i was able to bend the front trac bar bracket with my bare hand, the LCA mounts are a good bandaid but eventually you'll want real control arms, no disconnects for non rubi models (front links go to rear and you get new rear links... whoopdie doo), the "aev tuned" Bilsteins are overpriced when you smash them (normal bilsteins are 75 bucks each from most vendors, "AEV TUNED" are 135... ya no thanks), the rear dual rate springs ride ok, but are REALLY difficult to add spring retainers for when you want to do shock relocators like evo rockstars or the poly ones, etc.

I hope it does work out for you. But whenever this subject comes up i always recommend a kit you can build off of. When i built the 2 door jk (i've had both) i started with a 2.5 stock mod from RK and i ran the AEV brackets up front. They were an ok bandaid for a little while. When i upgraded the control arms and pulled the brackets though, WOW what a difference. Everything tightened up, bumps felt better, it felt more direct. Also, my alignment shop was able to PRECISELY dial in the perfect amount of castor and cross castor for correct handling. this was something that couldn't be done with the AEV brackets. Also, my front end lift was MUCH less without the brackets. I never took the time to figure out if it was lift up front or squat in the back, but it went away with the new setup.

I added coilovers and longer brake lines as well. And in the end i didn't have to throw ANYTHING away. i sold my front shocks and springs but i didn't buy anything i ended up throwing in the trash...

On the other hand... most AEV suspension owners that i have spoken to (or know) end up ditching most if not all of the kit once they get more into tougher wheeling. Which really doesn't take long considering how little you really get in the kit.

the things i do like:
    Procal is nice (and will be necessary for '12's who regear)

If the kit wasn't so much money i wouldn't care so much. Or if i didn't always have to hear JPK going on and on about the fucking engineering. All they did was get the roll center right and drop the LCA's (something XJ owners have been doing for decades). It's really not that impressive.

Anyway, that's my rant... so much for it being short. Good luck with your jeep and hopefully it serves you well.

Overall

Here's my overall opinion 2 years and about a million miles later.

When you select your suspension company, Stick with them. Unless you find there to be a problem.

AEV makes a lot of great stuff. Its targeted at street and dirt road driving. It is not targeted for rock crawling. The most important part of the RK lift in this thread was the misaligning control arms.

Those arms moving is what makes ANY Rk lift superior to an AEV lift.

AEV is the top of the pile in design, hemi swaps, rear bumper, front bumper, fit and finish, the list goes on, but for ROCK CRAWLING suspension, look at teraflex, Rock Krawler, anything with misaligning control arms.
    Last edited by JeepLab; 02-15-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Here's my overall opinion 2 years and about a million miles later.

When you select your suspension company, Stick with them. Unless you find there to be a problem.

AEV makes a lot of great stuff. Its targeted at street and dirt road driving. It is not targeted for rock crawling. The most important part of the RK lift in this thread was the misaligning control arms.

Those arms moving is what makes ANY Rk lift superior to an AEV lift.

AEV is the top of the pile in design, hemi swaps, rear bumper, front bumper, fit and finish, the list goes on, but for ROCK CRAWLING suspension, look at teraflex, Rock Krawler, anything with misaligning control arms.
    Don't leave out Metalcloak's Gamechanger. I suppose it is somewhere in the middle of the road, perhaps not quite the crawling system of RK. Nevertheless, it doesn't make the changes that are so permanent as RK either. 80% capability, 100% reversible. That is why I chose MC and have been happy with it thus far. I cant' wait to get up to Rausch Creek this summer with you to check out our rides side by side.

Hey guys I've had my jeep for about a year now and have been looking at different lifts. I have a '14 jku sport. I've gone off road a few times and want to try rausch creek soon. I also mostly drive it on the road. I've been looking at the rk 2.5 max travel or X factor and the aev as well. I've been reading about all of them and hear that the aev handles better than stock. Is this also true for the rk lift. I would also do 35s with the lift. I'm also in ny so I would probably have rk install the lift where I would probably install the aev myself. Does rk also do the alignment in house? Anyone running fox shocks instead of the Bilsteins. Stiffer? Softer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Matsango View Post
    Hey guys I've had my jeep for about a year now and have been looking at different lifts. I have a '14 jku sport. I've gone off road a few times and want to try rausch creek soon. I also mostly drive it on the road. I've been looking at the rk 2.5 max travel or X factor and the aev as well. I've been reading about all of them and hear that the aev handles better than stock. Is this also true for the rk lift. I would also do 35s with the lift. I'm also in ny so I would probably have rk install the lift where I would probably install the aev myself. Does rk also do the alignment in house? Anyone running fox shocks instead of the Bilsteins. Stiffer? Softer?
    Ahhhh. I love this. "handles better than stock"

Im happy to get first crack at answering this one. Id like the world to be aware, No aftermarket suspension "handles better than stock". NONE OF THEM. Its a marketing ploy.

Now, that being said, if your going to add steel parts, and winches and stuff and weigh it down... then All aftermarket suspensions will be superior to stock as the stock suspension is just not made to deal with you dumping 200lbs on the the front bumper. (bumper winch combo)

You want the best possible on road handling? Don't weigh it down, and leave it alone. LOL

If you want to wheel it, and want to do bumpers and winches and all, then RK and AEV are good options to try to get as close to stock handling WITH the added weight of heavy rear tire, winch in front. heavy armor etc.

Shocks- This is the least noticeable part of the suspension. Unless you are going to coil overs. if you are trying to save money on any part of this, I'd save the money here.

RK does not do alignment. You do that when you get home. And make sure to ask RK what they want your caster set to and toe in. Then tell the alignment people that in advance.

I am by no means a suspension expert, but I will say that my RK 1.5" has a softer ride, mostly stock JKU, running Rancho RS 9000XL shocks. I wouldn't drive my JKU like a sports car with these springs and no added weight as there is noticeably more body roll, to be expected in even a minor lifted vehicle. With that little said it is my understanding that the AEV springs are stiffer and provide a more sports car like feel, never driven an aev equipped jku so I can't compare. The only regret I have with my RK is that I didn't go to the 2.5" kit.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsango View Post

I run Fox shocks with RK 2.5. I love the ride it provides. It rides a little more stiff than stock which, to me, is preferred. I went from a Teraflex lift with OEM shocks to RK/ Fox. I highly recommend that combo. Keep in mind this is also due to the springs as well.

BB has had a few different suspensions, RK installed them all. I say if you are nearby to Albany, it's worth the trip to RK as they are reasonable on pricing to install and you know its really done right. Really right. by people who really know what right should be. Not someone reading instructions figuring it out as they go. If you want RK suspension and you are inside 3 hours of RK. I say go to RK. Anything else is a downgrade.

Now about suspensions overall. If you add no weight and are not going with big tires, AND not wheeling, then the stock suspension is difficult to beat.

Once you put big tires on, you have to lift.

Once you put weight on, you need new springs.

If you want to really wheel, misaligning control arms are key. (wheeling is far more fun with them)

You need to figure your entire build in advance. Every last thing you want to put on the truck needs to be decided now as the final weight is what you need to build for. Steel bumpers planned? Thats a factor. Winch? thats a factor, 37s? factor.

Once you know all that, then you can get to a final decision on lift and WHOs lift will fit you best.

Now with my own experience. I put a winch on stock suspension and the truck was terrible to drive. I felt like the nose was dragging on the ground. I went to RK for the first 2.5 xfactor lift, and on the way home i couldnt feel the winch anymore. The RK springs had made the weight....weightless. Then I was up 2.5 inches, with 35s at the time.

Now did the truck handle better than stock after what I did to it? (winch, lift, tires, wheels) ehh. Probably not. BUT compared to stock with the winch, it was 1000 times better.

As far as shocks, RK makes good ones. My RK coilovers are fantastic. I've also had the RRDs. No complaints. Id ask them if they can give you a deal on everything at once with install. You may save a few bucks. AND if there is a problem, you can go there. Rather than shipping stuff around the country.

I loved my xfactor lift. You can find our axle cam on youtube and watch it twist from underneith. Very cool suspension.