Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sooooo, whats the consensous from the jeeplab brain team? Stay away from nutserts? Or take steps to take care of them and they are fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    sooooo, whats the consensous from the jeeplab brain team? Stay away from nutserts? Or take steps to take care of them and they are fine?
    Dont be scared of nutserts. Just protect them. I'll strip BB's flares a year from now and we will look again. Once I cleaned mine, it didnt look so terrible, but make sure that installing them, you take ALL the steps. Nutsert problems are big problems.

This thread might be a SLIGHT over reaction.

When you take the flare off, and see that gunk inside, its frightening. Anyone would agree. Especially with something as delicate as riv nuts.

However. It takes a long time for something to corrode thru. And I don't see any RUST in any of those pics.

Here's my opinion - Black Betty lives in the north east. And this was one of the worst winters ever in that area. Something like triple the normal snow fall.

Those roads are covered in salt now, then with the snow melting, the salt becomes saltwater on the road. Then those 37s fling the "salt water" up into the flare, and there it stays...and drys.... and thats what you were scraping off.

Is it good for the rig-nuts? no. Is por15 sealing them smart? Yes.

But had you not done it, and not taken the flares off, you may never have known, and MAY never have had a problem.

The guys on this site plastic wrapping their trucks BB, JG, are people who love their trucks and never intend to sell them. Anyone else who keeps a car for a few years and then gets a new one, they don't need to worry about this kind of stuff.

BEWARE tho. - you can start out with a jeep and think you'll sell it in the future, but they get under your skin, and become family members without us being aware. You don't want to fall in love with your Jeep year 2 and be sorry you didnt protect it well in year one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    This thread might be a SLIGHT over reaction.

When you take the flare off, and see that gunk inside, its frightening. Anyone would agree. Especially with something as delicate as riv nuts.

However. It takes a long time for something to corrode thru. And I don't see any RUST in any of those pics.

Here's my opinion - Black Betty lives in the north east. And this was one of the worst winters ever in that area. Something like triple the normal snow fall.

Those roads are covered in salt now, then with the snow melting, the salt becomes saltwater on the road. Then those 37s fling the "salt water" up into the flare, and there it stays...and drys.... and thats what you were scraping off.

Is it good for the rig-nuts? no. Is por15 sealing them smart? Yes.

But had you not done it, and not taken the flares off, you may never have known, and MAY never have had a problem.

The guys on this site plastic wrapping their trucks BB, JG, are people who love their trucks and never intend to sell them. Anyone else who keeps a car for a few years and then gets a new one, they don't need to worry about this kind of stuff.

BEWARE tho. - you can start out with a jeep and think you'll sell it in the future, but they get under your skin, and become family members without us being aware. You don't want to fall in love with your Jeep year 2 and be sorry you didnt protect it well in year one.
    Well said. and maybe we do overreact a little. best to freak out over little things before they turn into big things.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Well said. and maybe we do overreact a little. best to freak out over little things before they turn into big things.
    I live by that rule. (and it works for me)