Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Anotheruserid View Post
    I've had pretty good success with the lubelocker gaskets. Sure they are a bit more pricey than a tube of sealant, but they are also a F of a lot easier to use. It wouldn't be a jeep part if it didn't cost twice as much as a competing product.
    Thanks for the input on the lubelocker gasket. I'm going to order one today and try an install this weekend. Always good to hear it worked well for others before I take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Thanks for the input on the lubelocker gasket. I'm going to order one today and try an install this weekend. Always good to hear it worked well for others before I take the plunge.
    Show some pics when you make this change. And now you want to put in the synthetic oil.

So is that gasket pic the solution? Or the problem?

Whats between the dif cover and the axle now?

The picture of the gasket is my proposed solution. Its a very high quality gasket that should solve the issue once and for all. I would have definitely used it first if I had known about them. Currently between the axle and differential cover is black RTV - pretty standard.

I'm working a temporary fix until I get about 300 more miles on the new gears behind the diff cover. Then I'll pull the cover, scrape off all the RTV and go with the lubelocker.

Is the leak slow enough for you to get to 500 miles?

its one thing to get to 500, its another thing to run the diff with no fluid in it. (both bad)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Is the leak slow enough for you to get to 500 miles?

its one thing to get to 500, its another thing to run the diff with no fluid in it. (both bad)
    It's just a weep now with some rtv behind the bolt head. I added fluid last night and it only took a few ounces to fill it up and that was over about 200 miles. I'll check it weekly and watch for any puddles under the jeep. Definitely don't want it running dry.

I'd keep it over filled if anything.

Id be paranoid about it being empty. Too much oil better than too little. The extra will just vomit out the breather hoses.

I tried to fix the leak from the one bolt hole it was coming from with some RTV, but the leak was such that it wouldn't seal. I've just kept a rag under it to catch the drips in the garage. I bought the lubelocker gasket and its on my workbench. I just don't want to start that project until I have time to refinish my ballistic fabrication cover, scrape the RTV and re-do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    I tried to fix the leak from the one bolt hole it was coming from with some RTV, but the leak was such that it wouldn't seal. I've just kept a rag under it to catch the drips in the garage. I bought the lubelocker gasket and its on my workbench. I just don't want to start that project until I have time to refinish my ballistic fabrication cover, scrape the RTV and re-do it right.
    I say use a measuring cup to catch the drips instead of a rag. so you can monitor how much oil you've lost, and maybe be able to pour it back in.

Your going to spend $60 on the 75/140 your going to put back in there when you change it. This way you will know how low you've gotten, and maybe save some.