Close

To BeadLock or NOT to Beadlock?

Beadlocks are expensive and heavy...

Im struggling to see the plus side of paying extra for them.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Beadlocks are expensive and heavy...

Im struggling to see the plus side of paying extra for them.

What am I missing?
    Beadlocks allow you to air down farther than a regular tire without being concerned about losing your bead off road. Thats the point.

The draw back is that they are heavy and expensive. (and if you care...most are not street legal) Both are pretty big negatives for the small pay off that you MIGHT lose your bead.

We air down to about 10 psi when going off road. I've never wanted to go lower than that. And I have never lost a bead, or witnessed someone else losing a bead. ever.

Maybe someone else here has a different opinion.

Forget -

the weight
    the expense
    the fact that they are not really DOT approved....

They are SEXY.

(I dont have them... They were too expensive and heavy. LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Forget -

the weight
    the expense
    the fact that they are not really DOT approved....

They are SEXY.

(I dont have them... They were too expensive and heavy. LOL)
    Its funny how "sexy" can out weight smart in a lot of situations.

have the same opinion about how heavy and expensive they are.... but i still struggle with the same conundrum.

Betty would look great beadlocked.

but she'd be slower....

I've never seen the benefit of beadlocks.

some guys love them and wont use anything else. Not me. The extra weight dosent make sense to me. (regardless of their crazy prices)

so my original opinion of expensive and heavy was correct.

They are pretty tho. Even scratched up.

When I see headlocks, I always look close to see how scratched they are. IF they are clean and perfect, they were a waste of money. (not wheeled)

If they are beat up, Im impressed. I like to see a tool used for its intended purpose.

I feel beadlocks are more for the hard core scene. They do look absolutely sick on a vehicle. This is why about 95% of all jeep wheel manufacturers simulate a beadlock in all of their wheel designs with fake bolt heads and designs around the outer portion of the rim closest to the tire.

None of us here (yet) are quite at the point where we're thrashing our wheels and jeeps to get over an obstacle where we need ultra low tire pressures and throttle.

That being said, the only thing that prevented me from going full beadlock was the price. I do love the look and the protection..but not the price.