Close

Drive Shafts....Im not sure they are a necessity.

More Jeep Misinformation I'm trying to clean up.

Its Straight Answer time.

So im considering my lift, and there are SOOOO many variables. I wanted to go to 3.5" so i could get 37s in without cutting or changing flares.

Now I'm learning about the downsides of going so tall.....driveshaft problems.

Some say change your DS the first day...
    Others say wheel till you break it, and you may never break it.

My issue is. I don't want to carry an extra drive shaft with me every time I wheel waiting for a disaster that I have to fix on the the trail. AND I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to.

Where do you guys stand on this?

You sir are in a pickle.

Your situation is a tough one. I too know people who have wheeled 3.5" lifts for YEARS without changing a drive shaft...

Oddly enough, I also know a guy who did not wheel long and he broke his... It might have been his style though, he was goosing the throttle, which you SHOULD NEVER DO.

If you follow that rule, and dont act stupid offroad to impress people, I think you'll be ok. You'd be in more danger with at 2 door jeep.

With the unlimited, I say, go easy, and you should be fine. If the throttle is your answer to a problem off road, you should beef up your drive shaft, because you will break it.

Maybe going keeping the stock DS and knowing its a weak point will make you be more delicate with the gas pedal offroad. Pick a better line, use the lockers, DONT PANIC...

Or change the DS and go nuts.

Pros and cons to everything.

I wish there was a definite answer. I guess I should play it safe and change the driveshaft.

another expense....

With 3.5 and 37s, the shaft will go eventually. You know that saying for boats "Bring Out Another Thousand". I just was thinking of one for Jeeps!: "Just Eats Every Penny!"

The shaft will fail. Later on mall crawlers than rock crawlers.

You guys have a DS brand you like?

I would go with tom woods, but I really dont know the others....There must be others...

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    I would go with tom woods, but I really dont know the others....There must be others...
    BB's a 2.5, Sweet pea is unlifted, We dont have much experience with broken drive shafts. Ill do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    Tom woods is the shizzle, no doubt. Everyone I've ever spoken to has sang praise to this company. That being said, two local-ish shops have told me they also work with local driveshaft manufacturers and have custom shafts built to the same quality level with the same components while saving a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Tom woods is the shizzle, no doubt. Everyone I've ever spoken to has sang praise to this company. That being said, two local-ish shops have told me they also work with local driveshaft manufacturers and have custom shafts built to the same quality level with the same components while saving a few bucks.
    For the love of god give us a pic!