Close

Factory Rubicon Rock Rails - Totally worth Keeping with any build

So Jesse's girl has a full metalcloak overline tube fender setup with rear exoskin body armor. Now that I have those installed I've been shopping around for new rock rails and haven't really found any that I feel look right with the lines of the metalcloak fenders (even those available from metalcloak). I think a lot of them stick out too far. Yes, that can be functional, but I have a bit less of a need with a 2 door and want something close to the body.

SO...I thought I'd go with the factory rock rails, at least for the time being. Small problem, when you remove the factory fenders and increase the tire size, the rails are a few inches too long and can impact the tire, much like the pinch seam (which I just finished trimming). Fortunately, the process is pretty simple. First, you re-mount the factory rail, and use some blue tape and figure out where you want the rail to end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-26 16.42.22.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	578

I ended up taking off 2.25 inches to align the end with the body line directly behind it. Next, you need to remove the factory plug that holds in the plastic end cap. There really is no way to save it, and you don't need to really. I tried removing mine with a body trim tool and it just flexed up and broke. I cut the rest out with snips and freed the end cap.

Name:	2014-03-26 16.49.21.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	577

Name:	2014-03-26 16.49.30.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	579

Secured it on a nice table with some clamps and put a new bi-metal blade in my reciprocating saw (these rails are pretty heavy duty) and began my cut taking my time to try to stay along the blue tape line.

Name:	2014-03-28 11.32.44.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	580

The last couple steps are pretty simple. Clean your fresh cut edges with a file and remove metal debris. Use some black spray paint on a plastic lid or old tupperware and a Q-tip to pain the exposed metal with a couple coats of matte black. The cap slides right back into the edge of the rock rail and has enough tension to stay there on its own.

Name:	2014-03-28 11.32.48.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	581

Give it a quick wipe down while its off (if you're into that) and then reinstall. The factory rails are great because you can reinstall with one person the way they mount through the pinch seam on four lugs, then up to the frame underneath with two 1/2 inch bolts. Total time to completion of about an hour. Satisfaction level = 9. I could have cut them a bit straighter on the edge that is exposed. Nevertheless, they turned out well enough to keep me happy.

Name:	2014-03-28 11.46.58.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	582

Name:	2014-03-28 11.47.05.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	583

Name:	2014-03-28 12.17.26.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	584

I've landed on these before with most of the weight of the jeep on them and they haven't let me down yet. I have no problem rolling these from a functional or aesthetic perspective for a long time coming, or at least until i find a stunning set of low profile rails I'm ready to open the wallet to buy.

If you find a set on Craigslist cheaply, definitely pick them up as an upgrade if you don't have a Rubicon.

Sweet work dude.

I bet when you finish this build and upgrade to some other rock rail, you can prob still sell those.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Sweet work dude.

I bet when you finish this build and upgrade to some other rock rail, you can prob still sell those.
    Goog point. I bet a lot of folks would rather not do the work or aren't equipped.

I like the stock rock rails.

I think the slim to the body look makes the truck look taller.

They will protect you pretty good from rocks, The body mounts are exposed tho. Im not sure how serious a problem that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I like the stock rock rails.

I think the slim to the body look makes the truck look taller.

They will protect you pretty good from rocks, The body mounts are exposed tho. Im not sure how serious a problem that is.
    Jeep has other OEM rock rails that stick out a bit farther. Maybe something for me to look at down the road!

Name:	2013-wrangler-rubicon-10th-rock-rails.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	641

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Jeep has other OEM rock rails that stick out a bit farther. Maybe something for me to look at down the road!

Name:	2013-wrangler-rubicon-10th-rock-rails.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	641
    Your flares are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Your flares are beautiful.
    Well thank you sir. But that blue 10k is not my jeep and I think Jesse's girl has better flares anyway. Metalcloak overline, sanded, powdered, sanded again, then painted. Oh, then vinyl wrapped!

I might be a loser, and my taste in jeeps may be questionable... But I think the factory rock rails are the prettiest rails.

They should make them optional on all models. but then the rubi's wouldnt stand out.