Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The last couple steps are pretty simple. Clean your fresh cut edges with a file and remove metal debris. Use some black spray paint on a plastic lid or old tupperware and a Q-tip to pain the exposed metal with a couple coats of matte black. The cap slides right back into the edge of the rock rail and has enough tension to stay there on its own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-28 11.32.48.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	581

Give it a quick wipe down while its off (if you're into that) and then reinstall. The factory rails are great because you can reinstall with one person the way they mount through the pinch seam on four lugs, then up to the frame underneath with two 1/2 inch bolts. Total time to completion of about an hour. Satisfaction level = 9. I could have cut them a bit straighter on the edge that is exposed. Nevertheless, they turned out well enough to keep me happy.

Name:	2014-03-28 11.46.58.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	582

Name:	2014-03-28 11.47.05.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	583

Name:	2014-03-28 12.17.26.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	584

I've landed on these before with most of the weight of the jeep on them and they haven't let me down yet. I have no problem rolling these from a functional or aesthetic perspective for a long time coming, or at least until i find a stunning set of low profile rails I'm ready to open the wallet to buy.

If you find a set on Craigslist cheaply, definitely pick them up as an upgrade if you don't have a Rubicon.

Sweet work dude.

I bet when you finish this build and upgrade to some other rock rail, you can prob still sell those.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Sweet work dude.

I bet when you finish this build and upgrade to some other rock rail, you can prob still sell those.
    Goog point. I bet a lot of folks would rather not do the work or aren't equipped.