Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The correction begins.

I just drove to RK this past weekend with bare flares because ive been trying to get them fixed.

Now betty is back and the flares are stripped and back in the oven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep Flares Oven 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	616

Did the jerks who screwed up your first coat job get paid?

Or did you stiff them?

The trouble is that you have to pay for strip after they screwed up. They really should pay for that. BUT at the same time, you cannot trust them to do it right.

I like to think I'd have stiffed them, Whole thing is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    I like to think I'd have stiffed them, Whole thing is a nightmare.
    I paid them.

I shouldnt have.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    I paid them.

I shouldnt have.
    Ouch. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles. That's the one issue of receiving something bare metal. My Poison Spyder bumper came bare metal and I decided to prep and rattle can bed-line it myself. At least I can touch it up when it gets trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post
    Ouch. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles. That's the one issue of receiving something bare metal. My Poison Spyder bumper came bare metal and I decided to prep and rattle can bed-line it myself. At least I can touch it up when it gets trashed.
    Same with my JCR bumpers. I find that rattle can looks great, IF you prep good, and do a bunch of coats.

You need to pay close attention to welds as those spots may seem painted, but then you find rust there later. I get thick in the corners.

So I have a few spare minutes and figured since I'm the one powder coating them, I will chime in.

So I first saw these Nemesis Flat Flares on Ross's Jeep a few weeks ago after we were introduced through my cousin, "Frank the Tank". At first glance I was horrified of the previous powder work done on these, as the flares were covered with "out-gassing" as well as "orange peel" in the finish. As Ross would put it "Busch League"!!

I agreed to help a friend out and re-due the flares for him and help his cause.

First things first, the flares needed to be stripped of the previous powder and get them back to bare aluminum so we can see what we have underneath. Due to the fact that these are larger than I can handle in my blast setup, I dropped them off with my commercial guy. After a week at the blaster he called me to curse me out as he said he had never seen such thick powder on anything before, hence the orange peel. Ultimately due to the poor powder job we had to go to plan B...chemical stripping!! So after the media blasting, chemical stripping saga I was finally able to get these all cleaned up and back to bare aluminum.

I now have them back after Ross drove to Rock Krawler. After careful inspection of the bare flares I realized these would need quite a bit of prep work starting with sanding. I noticed there were high and low spots throughout the flares so to get a nice glassy finish these must be sanded. Below are some pics of the process.

Name:	20140404_205250.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	637

Name:	20140405_102834.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	638

Name:	20140405_102818.jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	639

Once everything is all sanded smooth I will begin the next step which will be to shoot some primer for salt corrosion protection.
    Byrne Coatings
    27 McDermott Pl.
    Bergenfield, NJ 07621
    V: 201-477-0079
    chris@byrnecoatings.com
    www.byrnecoatings.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    The correction begins.

I just drove to RK this past weekend with bare flares because ive been trying to get them fixed.

Now betty is back and the flares are stripped and back in the oven.

Name:	Jeep Flares Oven 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	616
    The picture Ross posted was of the flares being out-gassed of all oils and contaminates. A little info about out-gassing: Aluminum and other softer porous substrates require an "out-gassing" or "bake-out" procedure to force any contaminants like oils, chemicals or grease to the surface of the substrate which can then be cleaned or blasted off. The out-gassing procedure requires the parts/substrate to be heated for 45 min @ 450*F. If this step is not taken I can guarantee there will be imperfections in the final finish such as tiny bubbles or holes in the finish.

Name:	20140314_122401.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	640
    Byrne Coatings
    27 McDermott Pl.
    Bergenfield, NJ 07621
    V: 201-477-0079
    chris@byrnecoatings.com
    www.byrnecoatings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne Coatings View Post
    The picture Ross posted was of the flares being out-gassed of all oils and contaminates. A little info about out-gassing: Aluminum and other softer porous substrates require an "out-gassing" or "bake-out" procedure to force any contaminants like oils, chemicals or grease to the surface of the substrate which can then be cleaned or blasted off. The out-gassing procedure requires the parts/substrate to be heated for 45 min @ 450*F. If this step is not taken I can guarantee there will be imperfections in the final finish such as tiny bubbles or holes in the finish.

Good information for anyone taking things to the powder shop. Nothing better for the consumer than to be education prior to a purchase. Info like this allows us to judge whether or not a vendor knows their stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne Coatings View Post

This is horrendous. You can see why you couldnt wrap this. Gross.