Finally getting started on writing up the install...

First, a reminder that I have very little experience working on cars. I'm not a mechanic. I've done quite a bit with motorcycles: basic maintenance, custom installation of "universal fit" automotive cruise control, valve clearance checks, remove/reinstall suspension components, etc. It turns out that working on a vehicle that is parked outside at all times and is driven year-round in a state that gets snow and salts their roads is tougher than working on a motorcycle that enjoys mostly fair weather riding and is always stored in a garage. Basically, I have tools and I'm not afraid to use them as long as I can find good information about what I need to be doing (factory service manual, online instructions/videos, etc). I have collected a decent range of skills/knowledge about generally working on things, but am not trained or an expert in anything.

This turbo kit is NOT a "simple" DIY install. The target audience of the install guide is someone that knows how to work on cars already, knows the tricks, dos/don'ts, etc. This install put me at the edge of my comfort zone (and maybe a bit beyond) a few times. I'm lucky enough to know some people that have much more experience/knowledge working on vehicles than me. I would not recommend going at this alone, unless you have a very well-stocked tool supply and plenty of experience working on vehicles. Having a friend help out that had additional knowledge/experience and additional tools saved me from some potentially frustrating/discouraging situations. Even if you are an expert, have a competent friend help you. There are some steps that really benefit from an extra set of hands, and its always nice to bounce ideas off another competent person when deciding how to approach a tricky step. It was quite an experience. In the end, I succeeded, and I have gained some new experience/knowledge to increase my confidence in whatever project I tackle next.

If you decide to tackle this as a DIYer, just assume that it will take a couple days to get everything fully complete, take your time, walk away when frustrated, and don't forget to eat. Working on an empty stomach while trying to rush something along is a disaster waiting to happen. Assume you'll have to take time away from the project to run to stores for more tools. I took a day off work for the first day of installing so that I could do it during business hours. This allowed me to run to stores when needed, and also call Prodigy to get questions answered when I needed clarification (better to ask for clarification than to move ahead with an assumption).

And now an apology for not getting full photographic coverage of the install. There were many times I was just "in the zone" doing stuff and didn't stop to take pictures of certain details. I didn't have a dedicated photographer to document the install, so there are very few "action" shots. Feel free to ask for more clear photos from different angles, etc., of things as they are installed in final form, and I will do my best to take additional photos. but I obviously can't go back and get any more/better pics of the install process itself.

So here's the majority of my tools:

A basic socket/wrench set. I also have a small tool bag with other typical stuff: hammer, screw drivers of various sizes, torx driver bits, various pliers, side cutters, utility knives, adjustable crescent wrench, box/open wrenches in more sizes than included in the pictured tool kit, etc. I also have other typical handy-man tools like a drill and a dremel.

My work area is not very glamorous:

My driveway. With a jack and jack stands to get a little more room under the jeep. And an old counter top on saw horses for a temporary work bench.

A roll of disposable shop towels was very useful. I always had a clean one sticking out of my pocket ready to be used: