Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's even possible that ceramic coating might not even be much of a benefit for the exhaust pipes. It would depend on how thick the wall of the pipe is and how much hotter than stock the exhaust gets. Since this will be a relatively low boost system, we won't be seeing the same extreme temperatures and glowing red turbos as you see on 1000 hp supras.

When I talked to a coating company about getting a motorcycle header ceramic coated, he was telling me about how stainless steel is a better heat barrier than non-stainless (mild) steel, and that thicker walls work as better heat barriers. So thin mild steel pipes/manifolds get the biggest benefit from ceramic coating.

From what I've read, the turbo blanket is pretty much a no-brainer. Relatively inexpensive and easy to install, keeps under-hood temps noticeably lower, and protects hands from getting burned from accidentally touching the turbo.

Also, the turbo is essentially powered by heat, any heat that escapes from the exhaust pipes or turbine is basically wasted energy that could have been used to power the turbo. Turbo blankets and pipe coatings actually increase turbo efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Since this will be a relatively low boost system, we won't be seeing the same extreme temperatures and glowing red turbos as you see on 1000 hp supras.
    LOL

I love a supra reference.

Did anyone see the pic of the jeep with its front wheels off the ground from the turbo? Ill have to dig it up. (and its on a 3.8)