Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Ive been thinking this same thing, about 37x12 to 38x14, Jeremy of RK loves a wide 38. Need a LOT of backspace.
    Wide tires get floaty, Floaty tires are good for mud, but bad for rain, snow etc. They would probably look great, but you might be going past a good working wheeler, into more of a show jeep.

It gets my goat when im at a show and everyone is soooo impressed with a jeep with 44 inch tires. I want to tell them, that its not a GOOD jeep with tires that big. It only looks good to people who dont know what they are looking at.

rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Wide tires get floaty, Floaty tires are good for mud, but bad for rain, snow etc. They would probably look great, but you might be going past a good working wheeler, into more of a show jeep.

It gets my goat when im at a show and everyone is soooo impressed with a jeep with 44 inch tires. I want to tell them, that its not a GOOD jeep with tires that big. It only looks good to people who dont know what they are looking at.

rant over.
    TOTALLY X2 then that rediculous monstrosity wins the show, and im sorry i paid 5 bucks to get in. LOL

Ive been thinking this same thing, about 37x12 to 38x14, Jeremy of RK loves a wide 38. Need a LOT of backspace.
    Ooooh, I'd love a 38x14, but I'm thinking that will be too much. That's why I think I'll go for 37x13.5. Sort of a nice halfway. My XD Bully wheels have a -44 offset, and kick the wheel out pretty far so I don't think I'll have any issue with rubbing on a 37x13.5.

Before I pull the trigger on these though, I've been looking at the need to upgrade the rear tire carrier first. My 35" tires are pretty heavy, but this will only add more weight and accelerate the damage if I don't take care of this first. Right now I'm looking at the Teraflex HD rear tire carrier. Looks nice a simple, has tons of adjustments to help get the tire as close to the rear door as possible (which I need with my XD wheels or it will stick out a ton,) and they claim it can handle up to 200 lbs, which I would only be at 1/2 that. Anyone have any experience with this rear carrier?
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post

rant over.
    Fear not the 44" tire, as it CAN actually be used for off-road. Fear this instead...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jkbling.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	995
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Fear not the 44" tire, as it CAN actually be used for off-road. Fear this instead...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jkbling.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	995
    Ripp would say this guy was "doing it wrong"

Cool

Ripp would say this guy was "doing it wrong"
    I know right. Painted front bumper to match the gloss black, seriously?

This was a video i watched 100 times before I bought Betty.

Painted bumpers.

This was a video i watched 100 times before I bought Betty.

Painted bumpers.
    :-) A joke, you know, a funny, like a ha-ha... Of course the tires were the glaring issue with that ugly beast. I actually like painted bumpers. Of course, when I look at that video you posted, I think "damn, how do you keep it so clean? must not get used, waste of a good Jeep." My wife was all pissed at me because I had not cleaned my Jeep in months, still had mud-splots all over it. I asked her "oh, are you going to help clean it with no doors and no top, and then clean it again a week later after I put a fresh coat of mud on it!?!" Needless to say, I cleaned my Jeep up nice and pretty by the end of the day Damn you women and your ways...

Just installed a new Teraflex HD tire carrier. I really like it. Here's the reason I went with it:

1) It is rated up to a 200 lbs. tire/wheel.
    2) It doesn't involve the bumper at all, so I can swap out bumpers at any time.
    3) It has two pieces to it (if you want both.) It can work with stock tire mount, or you can use their HD tire mount with their hinge.
    4) Their HD tire mount includes adjustment both up and down, as well as forward and back, so you can try to get the tire as low and as tight to the door as possible. I've seen some tire mounts that have the tire jetted way out over the bumper (not referring to ones designed to hold gas, etc. between door and tire) and that just adds a lot of stress on the system when you hit a bump, and it looks dumb.
    5) The install was super easy (took me maybe 30 minutes at best.)

Now that I have that done, I'm one step closer to upgrading to 37's! I'm currently using it with the stock tire mount because I have that custom mod where my backup camera is in the hub of my spare, and, no reason to put new HD mount on until I have the 37" tires, so I can get the vertical and horizontal position of the tire mount correct.

Probably no reason to post any pictures since it is a pretty basic design and there are already tons of pics on the web, but, if anyone wants pics, let me know.

I need to find 35 inch tires that are rated at least an H 130 mph rating. The only ones so far are the Baja TA race tires and they cost a ton.