2 20.00%
  • SPRINTEX

4 40.00%
  • MAGNUSSON

3 30.00%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doc5339 View Post
    heat is an issue for any turbo system (can require multiple add-ons, turbo timer, etc)
    The only heat-related issue I have experienced with the turbo was excessive intake temps with the stage 1 kit (no intercooler) after back-to-back repeated attempts to race up a steep sand dune on a hot, sunny summer day. Not unreasonable, if you ask me. With the intercooler installed, I'm not worried about heat at all (of course, I'll still give it a break to cool down a bit after lots of hard driving on the sand dunes). I have monitored coolant temps and intake temps under various conditions and have not seen any evidence of heat being an issue to be concerned about.

A turbo timer isn't necessary if you're smart. Don't park it immediately after doing some full throttle high boost runs. If you just drive sanely when you get near your destination, everything will cool down quicker than idling stationary at your destination. If you do, for some reason, park soon after using all the boost, just let it idle for a minute or so (until radiator fan stops running on high speed).

BTW - turbo timer doesn't work so well on a manual transmission if you like to park in gear

RIPP: ... (known quantity Vortech V3)
    One thing to be aware of with the Vortech supercharger is that starting it up at low temperatures can damage it, and is not covered under warranty.

In order to achieve the low noise level of Vortech
    superchargers, Vortech specifies manufacturing
    procedures that call for minimal internal clearance.
    These precise tolerances however are not
    conducive to temperatures below 25° F. Therefore,
    storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or
    employing the use of an engine block
    heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when
    the vehicle is subjected to a "cold startup" in
    ambient temperatures below 25° F. Failure to
    comply with this may result in immediate
    supercharger failure and invalidate the
    supercharger warranty.
    Source: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/94.pdf

Warranty document also mentions that cold starts void the warranty: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/92.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    The only heat-related issue I have experienced with the turbo was excessive intake temps with the stage 1 kit (no intercooler) after back-to-back repeated attempts to race up a steep sand dune on a hot, sunny summer day. Not unreasonable, if you ask me. With the intercooler installed, I'm not worried about heat at all (of course, I'll still give it a break to cool down a bit after lots of hard driving on the sand dunes). I have monitored coolant temps and intake temps under various conditions and have not seen any evidence of heat being an issue to be concerned about.

A turbo timer isn't necessary if you're smart. Don't park it immediately after doing some full throttle high boost runs. If you just drive sanely when you get near your destination, everything will cool down quicker than idling stationary at your destination. If you do, for some reason, park soon after using all the boost, just let it idle for a minute or so (until radiator fan stops running on high speed).

BTW - turbo timer doesn't work so well on a manual transmission if you like to park in gear

One thing to be aware of with the Vortech supercharger is that starting it up at low temperatures can damage it, and is not covered under warranty.

Source: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/94.pdf

Warranty document also mentions that cold starts void the warranty: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/92.pdf
    Damn UselessPickles...

Just when I thought I was out, you bring me back in! Just messing with you, I GREATLY appreciate your very thorough analytical perspective.

I really like the Prodigy Stage II, but to trick it out is very expensive and the installation looks like a bitch. I will take another hard look at Prodigy before I pull the trigger. I really love turbos and have extensive ownership experience with turbo diesels; all OEM setups, which makes me less comfortable with a retrofit. Your experiences with the early Prodigy minor durability issues my have stuck in my craw as well.

Damn UselessPickles...

Just when I thought I was out, you bring me back in! Just messing with you, I GREATLY appreciate your very thorough analytical perspective.

I really like the Prodigy Stage II, but to trick it out is very expensive and the installation looks like a bitch. I will take another hard look at Prodigy before I pull the trigger. I really love turbos and have extensive ownership experience with turbo diesels; all OEM setups, which makes me less comfortable with a retrofit. Your experiences with the early Prodigy minor durability issues my have stuck in my craw as well.
    OK, this is more money than I planned on spending but it is about as badass as it can get:

3.6 02 120x120 Cart PRO-2002 2012-2014 Jeep Wrangler Stage 2 Intercooled Jeep Turbo Kit
    Precision Turbo (+$295) Turbo Housing: Standard Garrett/Precision
    Turbo Bearing: Ceramic Ball Bearing (+$495)
    $7,489.00

Catch Can mounted on bracket v2 120x120 Cart Oil Catch Can Kit for 2012-2015 Prodigy Turbo Kits $389.00

Prodigy T4 titanium turbo heat shield pro 1080 120x120 Cart PRO-1080 Prodigy T4 Titanium Turbo Heat Shield $179.00

TOTAL $8,057.00

Questions for you Pickles:
    -Do you think that my OEM Clutch, Manual Gearbox, and 4.10 Rear can handle the Prodigy Stage II?
    -Am I missing anything in my cart?
    -I believe that I read somewhere the need for a 2" lift with the Prodigy Turbo setup; is that really necessary?
    Last edited by doc5339; 10-02-2015 at 07:48 AM.