Close

Tool Organization by ERNST MFG!

Hey everyone!

The JL Operating Room, Is the center of the universe for 3 mechanics. The list of tools available never ends. Lots of stuff coming and going depending on the build and what not.

It had gotten to the point where the 3 of us couldnt tell what was what. Tools constantly lost, because when one mechanic would put something away, it would be in the right place...to him. We were not organized and we suffer with many lost hours and multiples of the same tool, because if something wasnt were it was supposed to be, rather than rip the whole place apart, we would send someone to the store. (only so many hours in the day etc)

So, being fed up when I couldnt find one of my Armstrong ratchets (Oddly a 1/2 inch drive long handle) I pretty much freaked out and called for help.

I looked at the cut foam systems, but its very expensive and then you have to cut the tool holes yourself... It was not a solution for my tool problem.

I started with my favorite most used tool - Armstrong ratcheting wrenches.

Gotta keep these babies close. First reach in any circumstance. BUT im not a mechanic like the other guys that work in our garage, I cant look at bolt from the creaper and know if its metric or standard, I cannot tell the size with a glance. I need to see what fits it.

So when i get on the creeper, i bring some stuff with me. Normally its a bunch of wrenches or sockets, but then they are rolling around under the truck, and its not a good situation overall.

The Ernst Grippers are fantastic for this. You grab the whole thing, and take it with you, and they are customized so that they hold just the right number of wrenches, so your set is represented and if one is missing you know.

Attachment 1577

Attachment 1578

Attachment 1579

My toolbox is a mess. I dont even know where to start.

Toolbox, whats' that! My excess money has been going in to my Jeep so my tools are on the floor! I have been considering spending some money to get organized, so this is for sure a thread I'd like to follow. In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread asking everyone to post pics of their garages so I could get some ideas. I've seen some people exclusively use drawers, while others have decided to hang things on the wall. Any pics and ideas much appreciated!
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Toolbox, whats' that! My excess money has been going in to my Jeep so my tools are on the floor! I have been considering spending some money to get organized, so this is for sure a thread I'd like to follow. In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread asking everyone to post pics of their garages so I could get some ideas. I've seen some people exclusively use drawers, while others have decided to hang things on the wall. Any pics and ideas much appreciated!
    Get those tools off the floor Timmy! I like the wall hang idea also, but it seems less and less practical. They also get all dusty with whatever you are doing in the garage around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoinkers View Post
    Get those tools off the floor Timmy! I like the wall hang idea also, but it seems less and less practical. They also get all dusty with whatever you are doing in the garage around them.
    I know, I know. Only been in the house a year, had the Jeep a year, been spending money on Jeep upgrades. What's a guy to do but eventually focus on the garage once I'm done with all the upgrades. I get my Jeep back tomorrow with my new gears in it. Brought it to an outstanding shop I found to do the work, asked them to go over the suspension since I just tossed on the Metal Cloaks and then send if off for an alignment since the previous owner obviously did not have a good shop do the work. Oh what joy, that bill is already coming in larger than planned, but I know it will be well worth it because these guys are finding good things that need to be tweaked. Shocker, they found the tie-rod ends on the tie-rod bar are starting to wear out with only 15k miles on the Jeep. Looks like it's time for a new Synergy tie-rod bar.

My new ARB bull bar bumper arrived today and I've got my Warn 9.5ti winch ready to install. Damn, $1200 for new control arms, $600 gears, $1500 for gear install plus some extra work, $1100 on the bumper, $600 on used winch = No mo' money for garage/tool organization. Gulp, just added that all up plus the new tires and I'm at $7k! Been an expensive first quarter of 2015. I think I'm ready for warm weather and get the stupid top off and go enjoy the thing.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

those grippers are cool how do they account for different thickness wrenches?

Working with sockets

Update,

Ive been buried lately, but im in the garage tonight, trying to sort out the socket drawer. Im using Ernst's socket boss's and I really like them. I like lifting the tray out of the drawer and taking the whole thing under the jeep.

I also like that the rails are magnetized so they help the drawer liners stick to the bottom of the drawer so they dont move around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armstrong tools Ernst Organizer (3).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	1675

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armstrong tools Ernst Organizer (5).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1676