Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Please explain what's wrong with my dual catch can setup. It's no different than all other dual catch can setups out there for boosted engines, aside from application-specific mounting/routing details.

It is simply returning the PCV system to a fully closed, functioning PCV system like stock (PCV valve connected to the intake manifold, breather port connected to the air filter area). The only difference is that I add a catch can inline on each side of the system.

Yes, oil vapors do come through the breather hose. This happens when on boost. Piston blowby has to go somewhere, and the crankcase breather is the place it goes. I don't want those vapors going back into my intake, coating the inside of my intercooler (making it less efficient) and lowering the effective octane of the fuel while on boost. I also don't want it to vent to atmosphere, because it stinks (that's what it does right now). Catch can is the solution (specifically a catch can with an oil separator in it).

System is not open-- so it is not venting into the atmosphere. That will not pass emission standards for a 2012 vehicle in any state. So, I highly doubt Prodigy's turbo-kit even touched your PCV. If you're smelling oil at present it is most likely a leak somewhere... Perhaps, have a blown oil seal somewhere....

Blow-by doesn't reach reach the crankcase breather-- because the high pressure crankcase gases are drawn to the low pressure zone in the intake-- this then creates a vacuum in the crankcase that draws air from the valve cover breather to draw in continuous clean air. The more boost created only serves to help create greater pressure differentials within the engine.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 04-30-2015 at 07:27 PM.