Close

Thread: Winches...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    key with winches is minimum weight with enough pulling power to get your rig out of whatever you get it into. A pound heavier, and you are doing yourself a disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    key with winches is minimum weight with enough pulling power to get your rig out of whatever you get it into. A pound heavier, and you are doing yourself a disservice.
    I disagree with minimum weight. I find that the real factor is calculating your weight of the vehicle fully loaded with the winch on the front and then get a winch that will fit the 1.5 to 3.0 times this weight factor for a single line pull. Because once you have that set up using a snatch block (or blocks) will only give greater potential for winching power under adverse conditions.

One of the last things you want is a winch made of light weight materials that fails while your truck is being recovered. Light weight components often fail you when you need them most. So, if you are 10-20lbs heavier than the lightweight option-- I would take the heavy model with beefier components and forget the 10-20lbs extra in weight. But that is just me.

You also have to remember I'm using 5/8 inch diameter wire rope with a length of 300+ feet. Most other winches for trucks or SUV's that weigh in less than 300lbs have only 90-120feet of wire or synthetic rope on them. Which makes doing a triple or five line pull almost impossible. I like to know that if I want to do a 4 block five line pull I can if I want to.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 03-25-2015 at 11:13 AM.