Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "what makes you hate the idea of gearing it?"

No hate here. I just don't have the $1500 - $2000 nor do I feel that with my usage of local daily driving , no off roading, minimal highway and 9000 miles per year warrants the expense. If I can get a little more throttle response, mpg's and some punch, I would rather spend at least half the amount with the bolt on's. I get the up side to re gearing. Just feel it may be overkill for my needs. I look at it this way. It is relative to what my JK is now. With the bolt on's, I believe I will have a JK that rides, acts and feels different in a positive way. Now, if I compared it to another JK with re gearing, would I be jealous and realize the improvement over my bolt on's? Well, as long as I don't do that to myself, I won't know what I could be missing and therefore I will be satisfied with my plan. Again, it comes down to cost vs. usage vs. coming up with a happy medium to get a different feeling/riding JK. Some may not agree with my logic and I get that. This just seems right for me at the present time.
    Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-04-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    "what makes you hate the idea of gearing it?"

No hate here. I just don't have the $1500 - $2000 nor do I feel that with my usage of local daily driving , no off roading, minimal highway and 9000 miles per year warrants the expense. If I can get a little more throttle response, mpg's and some punch, I would rather spend at least half the amount with the bolt on's. I get the up side to re gearing. Just feel it may be overkill for my needs. I look at it this way. It is relative to what my JK is now. With the bolt on's, I believe I will have a JK that rides, acts and feels different in a positive way. Now, if I compared it to another JK with re gearing, would I be jealous and realize the improvement over my bolt on's? Well, as long as I don't do that to myself, I won't know what I could be missing and therefore I will be satisfied with my plan. Again, it comes down to cost vs. usage vs. coming up with a happy medium to get a different feeling/riding JK. Some may not agree with my logic and I get that. This just seems right for me at the present time.
    Understood. And you did think it thru obviously.

Gearing is more than just the expense, its a roll of the dice with a gear job. Most invasive thing we've done. I think its even more invasive than the supercharger. The problem is that its a nightmare to correct a gear problem.

If you read "the truth about gears" you'll see my own case of problem gearing. Good yukon gears, a less good gear install job where i tried to save some money. Ended up doing it twice.