Close

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

OMG...Prodigy...TURBO!

Just got the news..... Prodigy wants to throw its hat in the ring with the two killer superchargers that we are testing head to head right now. To give you an idea of what that means, Prodigy's turbo kit for the 3.8 Jeep wrangler engine made as much power as the Supercharged Pentastars make....on paper.

Here is the dyno chart they post on their website. 350 wheel horse power, and 400 torque. Sounds too good to be true.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prodigy Dyno Chart.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	157

A big note with RIPP and Magnuson, the supercharger gurus, is drivability. Big power is easy, just cram more air in, but does the truck drive correctly on and off road? We are going to find out.

Particularly off road, where you don't want BURSTS of power. You want an even, predictable gathering of power as you creep and crawl thru difficult terrain. You don't want to be hanging off a rock and have a power burst, it could be catastrophic. Also, the components between the engine and the ground will all be under more strain. So throttle response is paramount.

Can these guys get a beast like this under control? We'll tell you.

To avoid confusion, I'd like to clarify that the dyno chart posted here is for the 3.8 turbo kit with the 12psi kit added to it. Here's a dyno chart comparing the stock 3.8, the "standard" turbo kit, and the 12psi kit:

Can't wait to see what the torque curve looks like for the 3.6 kit!

Pumped to see this...not too many videos or threads about the TC.

From what I'm thinking the turbo charger could be more beneficial to daily driving. Wondering if there is any lag

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    To avoid confusion, I'd like to clarify that the dyno chart posted here is for the 3.8 turbo kit with the 12psi kit added to it. Here's a dyno chart comparing the stock 3.8, the "standard" turbo kit, and the 12psi kit:

Can't wait to see what the torque curve looks like for the 3.6 kit!
    Excellent correction.

Welcome Pickles. We are excited to have you here. Credit where its due, Pickles contacted us weeks ago and turned us on to Prodigy's Turbo.

Pickles's point is that there is the base kit that makes 8psi and around 275 wheel horse power. Then this 12psi kit pushes the power over 350 wheel horse power.

There is so much to learn about turbos vs. superchargers. The obvious difference is that Superchargers run off the engine belt, and the turbo runs off the exhaust, and is considered more "effiecent". What we didnt know was how their power curves climb off the charts.

Its going to be interesting to see how they do in our Jeeps!
    Last edited by JeepLab; 02-18-2014 at 10:12 PM.

If designed reasonably, there shouldn't be much noticeable lag. The infamy of turbo lag comes from large turbos on small engines used to produce huge power at high RPMs. Prodigy seems to have targeted more to the mid-range RPMs for the 3.8, and I'd expect they'll do something similar for the 3.6. Since the 3.6 is already stronger in higher RPMs in stock form than the 3.8, they may have even been able to target slightly lower RPMs for peak turbo efficiency on the 3.6 while still hitting impressive peak power numbers.

Based on general torque curve shapes, I think the turbo will "feel" kind of like the RIPP centrifugal supercharger in the lower half of the RPM range in that torque gains will ramp up, but it will ramp up much more quickly. In the upper half, it will "feel" kind of like the Magnuson roots style supercharger in that it will be steady strong (relatively constant) torque all the way through, except it will be quite a bit more than the Magnuson. Kind of a hybrid between the two supercharger types.

Is it there yet? Is it there yet? I can't stand the suspense!

The other issue is heat in the engine bay... I can't wait to see what their plan is for that.

Maybe you guys could put thermometers in the engine bays of all 3 trucks and see who is hottest?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    The other issue is heat in the engine bay... I can't wait to see what their plan is for that.

Maybe you guys could put thermometers in the engine bays of all 3 trucks and see who is hottest?
    thats a great idea.

i wonder where we can find some thermometers that are wireless, or with wires, that would make that kind of test work.

more research? No problem.

Heard about the heat problem as well

Could insulating pipes work?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank The Tank View Post
    Heard about the heat problem as well

Could insulating pipes work?
    I would presume it could, or maybe they'll use ceramic coatings? Im trying to get some info out of them but they are in top secret mode right now.