Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    i'll maybe have to take a look at putting in a different transmission fluid as i'd love any chance to make it smoother. I hate to admit it, but i've never dealt with transmission fluid on my own before. Is it very difficult to do? Is it just your standard drain plug, pull out old, fill with new? Do you feel redline mtl is the best? Anyone else have any experience or comments about swapping trans fluid?
    bump bump...
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    bump bump...
    Oops. Sorry.

Manual transmission fluid change was pretty straightforward. There's two gotchas:

1) The stock exhaust blocks direct access to the drain plug. There's various ideas out there for making your own tool, or buying a specific tool for the job. I think I found the simplest solution. Buy a 17mm allen socket like this:

And pound the allen bit portion out of the socket. It's now a very short allen wrench with no handle. There's enough room to fit that between the exhaust and drain plug, then use a 17 mm open end wrench to turn it.

Use some aluminum foil to cover the exhaust and form a makeshift funnel for the draining fluid.

2) You need a bottle pump to transfer fluid from the bottle into the fill hole. The one I ordered online didn't work. It didn't fit the threaded opening of the bottle of fluid I had, and the style of pump relied on the bottle being sealed to build pressure. I picked up another bottle pump at a local auto parts store that still didn't fit my bottle, but also didn't rely on a pressure buildup to function properly.

Here's a full writeup with a more complicated custom tool suggested: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service