Close

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Regarding Jeep not covering the engine cost. By law, they have to *prove* that your modification did the damage. ... Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975
    I don't think U.S. law applies to AGOM over in Oman

But I would be interested to hear if there's any kind of similar law/precedent over there.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I don't think U.S. law applies to AGOM over in Oman

But I would be interested to hear if there's any kind of similar law/precedent over there.
    Ahh, I see, I didn't even check his profile to see that he was not in the U.S. Yes, that would make sense that the laws would be different. Sorry about that AGOM, I'm not used to checking to see if a JeepLab members is not based in the U.S.

That being said, it was a nice chance to whip out that little tid-bit for any U.S. owners that are concerned about how their mod would impact their warranty.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

Your right, the laws here are different, if you mod the car out of the OEM spec then its your responsbility.
    They claim that its due to the extra stress caused by the turbo that caused it, and that if it was a standard engin it would have not gotten that bad and all that would have been done is refilling with the correct amount of oil and thats it.
    It all comes down to how much time im willing to loose to chase the issue, and where can i get an approved independant expert that has an idea of how involved the turbo is on a JK. Not sure how things go there, but here it could be a long process.
    What i could have done is to have removed the turbo and then took it to them, but to me thats unethical and i would be cheating my self of knowing what went wrong, if it was the turbo that contributed to the growth of the issue than be it. I love my turbo its realy fun to drive.
    Im just a little bit more carefull with whats going in and out of the car.
    Its a fresh start for me now and im just focused on getting it right, and im fortunate that in this forum there is a lot of help as well as the support im getting from Prodigy.
    my advise its less expensive to check your oil that to replace the engin... Lol

I practiced some snow driving skills today. Listen to those turbo sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfYyeRwRSI

***** MODERATED ****

Hey everyone, this was the point where this thread went off turbos into a discussion about tires, I moved all the tire talk to a new thread - "Pickles Tire Convo"

http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?234-Pickles-Tire-Covo

How about some more geeky data...

So I was looking at a dyno chart of a RIPP supercharged Wrangler with a boost curve again, and I figured out that the boost curve just about perfectly matches a quadratic curve. That means I can now plot the RIPP boost curve on a chart with my turbo boost curve.

Here's the RIPP dyno chart again:

That must be the "high altitude" kit, since it is advertised to produce 9-11 psi at sea level. The standard kit is advertised as 8 psi, so i can plot that as well.

It's interesting that there's not a lot of difference between the standard RIPP and Prodigy at low rpms.

More interesting is that RIPP just claimed on another forum today that their kit produces 40% gains as low as 1800 rpm. How do they get 40% gains from less than 1 psi boost? And if RIPP can do that, why doesn't the turbo produce 40% gains as low as 2200 rpm, where it has similar boost as RIPP at 1800?

Well did you take into account the dimensions of the Ripp Vortex unit in comparison to the Prodigy Unit? Size is a big deal. What about the gear ratio that Ripp uses in the unit-- that matters. In your turbo, like the one on my diesel it is only run on exhaust gas pressure; so lower rpm means less pressure on the rear turbine so less Boost. Where as a supercharger usually has a gearbox so that at low rpm it creates a significant amount of boost.

I'm taking into account the actual recorded boost curve from a dyno run of a RIPP supercharger on a Wrangler. I don't need to know anything about the size, gear ratio or pulley size, etc. The RIPP is a centrifugal supercharger, so it doesn't produce much boost at low rpms, as evidenced by the dyno chart with the boost curve that I posted. Compare the boost curve from the dyno chart to the curve I plotted on my chart. Almost a perfect match.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I'm taking into account the actual recorded boost curve from a dyno run of a RIPP supercharger on a Wrangler. I don't need to know anything about the size, gear ratio or pulley size, etc. The RIPP is a centrifugal supercharger, so it doesn't produce much boost at low rpms, as evidenced by the dyno chart with the boost curve that I posted. Compare the boost curve from the dyno chart to the curve I plotted on my chart. Almost a perfect match.

Answer me if I'm wrong-- you want to know why your turbo and the Vortech V3 super that Ripp uses show differences at low rpm right?

I want to know how RIPP system could possibly produce 40% gains in torque/power at 1800 rpm (as claimed by RIPP), when there is less than 1 psi boost at 1800 rpm (that's less than 6.8% additional air above atmospheric pressure). And if somehow that actually is correct/possibly, then why can't the turbo produce 40% gains in torque/power as low as 2200-2300 rpm, where it is generating a similar amount of boost?

I'm trying to get a response from RIPP about this. I'm hoping it was just a typo, because the claim seems ridiculous.