Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks. I think you've just proven my point. And that's all on top of a $21k conversion. And there's a lot of assumptions of "do all the work yourself" (bolt-on kits are one thing, removing and rebuilding an engine is on a whole different level of skills/tools necessary), and assumptions that you actually know what the hell you're doing with matching all the right components and settings up to support the big power (there isn't a simple complete kit for this). More realistically, you're going to need to work with a performance shop that has experience in modding the 4BT, and prices for various portions of the process will skyrocket. And in the end, reliability is a concern.

For about the same amount of $$$, you could do a 6.1 or 6.4 hemi conversion (pay someone else to do it, that is), add a bolt-on supercharger *kit* from a reputable manufacturer, no engine mods necessary, be in the same ballpark of power output, and have an engine that can be diagnosed/serviced by any Chrysler dealer. Plus the Hemi sounds much better. The 4BT sounds like a school bus or garbage truck. Not impressive :-p
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 04-12-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Thanks. I think you've just proven my point. And that's all on top of a $21k conversion. And there's a lot of assumptions of "do all the work yourself" (bolt-on kits are one thing, removing and rebuilding an engine is on a whole different level of skills/tools necessary), and assumptions that you actually know what the hell your doing with matching all the right components and settings up to support the big power (there isn't a simple complete kit for this). More realistically, you're going to need to work with a performance shop that has experience in modding the 4BT, and prices for various portions of the process will skyrocket. And in the end, reliability is a concern.

For about the same amount of $$$, you could do a 6.1 or 6.4 hemi conversion (pay someone else to do it, that is), add a bolt-on supercharger *kit* from a reputable manufacturer, no engine mods necessary, be in the same ballpark of power output, and have an engine that can be diagnosed/serviced by any Chrysler dealer. Plus the Hemi sounds much better. The 4BT sounds like a school bus or garbage truck. Not impressive :-p
    I said it was simple-- I didn't say it was a bolt on kit- i.e. idiot proof... And yes it does require more skills and understanding of the engines than bolting on a turbo kit. However, the rewards are so much greater to he who knows the secrets of the dieselly goodness!!!! As for reliability anytime you add a turbo or change the the chip-set in engine you reduce potential reliability. When you put the Prodigy kit on your Jeep reliability was compromised. This would be potentially more likely to have a failure. But, odds are a 4BT operating under its normal rpm with about 80PSI of manifold pressure would have a nice long life.

Myself, I would put a 4-53T Detroit Diesel in the Jeep with Compound turbo unit and I'd tweak the RPM to 2800-- which would add a little more complexity and then I would throw out the stock transmission and put in a Eaton Fuller 6spd model (maybe even an older Spicer 5+4 unit if I could it under it) and put in a heavy duty divorced Transfer Case and swap the axles out for U1400 series Portal Axles...

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/l...automotive.pdf

My theoretical build would sound like Satan Himself Pulling Up To Your Doorstep For Your Soul! The best part is I could make it roast any 6.4Hemi build from AEV on the Dyno pretty much any engine that isn't 100k in price playing with pump gas would be a loser to this engine on the dyno. Not to mention being stroke the torque curve would be nearly flat. So, it would be epically overpowered on or off the road.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 04-12-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBill View Post
    Myself, I would put a 4-53T Detroit Diesel in the Jeep with Compound turbo unit and I'd tweak the RPM to 2800
    Then why don't you put the 4-53T Diesel in your Jeep? Go for it, then write up a posting with step-by-step so we can all learn how to put one in a Jeep. Toss it on the dyno when you're done and share your results.
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

My company car is a Jeep Liberty-- It won't fit. I've thought about it.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 04-13-2015 at 07:15 PM.